Denny Street is one of the main streets in Kerry's biggest town, Tralee. It was named after a noble man called Edward Denny, to whom Queen Elizabeth granted the town in 1587. The street was built in 1826 on the former grounds of the Dennys' great medieval castle. In the 1820s, work began on the new street. But the ruins of Tralee Castle, the old family home of the Dennys stood in the way of the new development. Rather than simply demolish this historic old building, its stones were used in the construction of the new houses. These houses were built by 1826 and many still stand today.