A number of minor gentry houses, associated with Portumna Castle, are situated almost in a semi-circle on the fringes of the town. These include: • The Rectory • Thornfield House • Wilmount House • Oakley Park • Fairyhill House, • Gortaha House • Palmerston House The Palmers, a family from Dublin, were involved in the milling business and the family owned Santa Cruze Mill at Carrigahorig which was built in 1805. The mill was a first class one, on a par with the best in the country. It produced top class flour with its silk screen. It also produced wholemeal, pollard and bran. It purchased wheat from the neighbouring farmers and dried it in a kiln before extracting the flour. The kiln was a major one and was heated by turf, which was also supplied from neighbouring bogs. Suppliers were paid sixpence a box for the turf. The place was a hive of activity when it was at the height of production at the end of the nineteenth century and was reputed to employ over one hundred people. Palmerston House is a detached three-bay two-story residence, was built c. 1820 by Samuel Palmer. Palmerston Lodge, located nearer the town, was also owned by the family.