Growing prosperity in the early nineteenth century led to the requirement for the development of a banking system in Ireland. The Hibernian Bank was one of the many companies that determined to open branches in provincial towns such as Portumna. The stone façade reflects the importance of this original function. While remodelled for its current use, the bank name plaque is still in place above the main entrance. Its historical use as a Garda Station lends it further social importance. Detached five-bay two-storey bank with dormer attic, built c.1880, having slightly lower two-storey return to rear (north-west) elevation. Refurbished c.2008, currently in use as offices. Formerly used as Garda Station, with former barracks building to north. Pitched slate roof with recent rooflights, having terracotta ridge tiles, moulded limestone eaves course, dressed limestone gable end chimneystacks, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Dressed limestone walls to front elevation, with carved limestone name plaque 'Hibernian Bank Limited' over doorway, and rendered walls elsewhere. Square-headed window openings with tooled limestone sills and voussoirs, and six-over-six pane timber sliding sash windows. Square-headed door opening with tooled stone voussoirs, decorative timber door frame with fluted pilasters and ornamented frieze, margined overlight, and replacement timber panelled door. Segmental-headed relieving arch to west bays of ground floor. Detached five-bay two-storey former barracks building to rear with pitched slate roof having brick chimneystacks, and square-headed timber sliding sash windows.