Belgian friars opened Killarney Franciscan Church in 1867, and the friary in 1879. The church was designed by famed English architect Augustus Pugin, who also designed the clock tower of Big Ben. The friary is notable for its stained-glass windows and Flemish-style altarpiece. A statue of St. Joseph, patron saint of Belgium, can be seen alongside that of St. Patrick. To the right of the building is a small graveyard with a cast iron Celtic-style cross marking each grave.Today daily masses take place in the Old Friary, but the friars live in new accommodation nearby.