The Weigh House

Contact Information

The Gort Weigh House (known locally as "The Crane") is a much-loved landmark, right in the middle of the market square. It is a good example of a cut stone Market Weigh House and sports a weighbridge, weighing scales, trough, water pump and internal balance for the weighbridge. It was built in the middle to late 18th Century under the auspices of Lord Gort who oversaw the development of the town to a major market town and staging post. During An Taisce ownership, the Weigh House has been restored. The Weigh House dates from c1760. The weekly market was held in the Square on Saturdays, during the 18th century. People came from all over the present Burren Lowlands area. Produce was weighted to make sure people paid their tolls; in the early 19th century it would have been 3 pence for a barrel of oats and 1 penny for a stone of potatoes. The Weigh Master would mark the weight of the item on the seller’s hat. The Weigh House went out of use around 1950. The Square itself is now a triangle and the houses on the church side once faced the river so what we see today are the backs of the houses.