Originally opened in 1869 after a series of financial setbacks it claimed to be the first line in Ireland carrying 3rd class passengers The railway brought prosperity and employment Railway cottages were built and crossings were manned by tenants. The first Station Master was Thomas Lawlor and the first two engines were named Drumconora and Lough Cutra. A third engine was purchased and named Gort. The railway line remained open until the late 1970s, bringing secondary school pupils into town for school daily. As part of Iarnród Éireann's Western Rail Corridor project, under the Transport 21 plan, Iarnród Éireann rebuilt the station. The new station opened on 29 March 2010.