The Cathedral of Our Lady Assumed into Heaven and St Nicholas is more commonly known as Galway Cathedral. This site, on the banks of the Corrib River was originally the site of the old city jail. Work began in 1958 and was completed in 1965 making this the last great stone Cathedral to be built in Europe. It’s dome, at a height of 44.2 metres (145 ft), is a prominent landmark on the city skyline. It’s architecture draws on many influences with the dome and pillars reflecting a Renaissance style and the rose windows and mosaics, echo the broad tradition of Christian art. The word “cathedral” is derived from the Greek ‘kathedra’ meaning seat as only a Cathedral can contain a bishops seat. The architect of the cathedral was John J. Robinson who had previously designed many churches in Dublin and around the country. The architecture of the cathedral draws on many influences. The dome and pillars reflect a Renaissance style. Other features, including the rose windows and mosaics, echo the broad tradition of Christian art. The cathedral dome, at a height of 44.2 metres (145 ft), is a prominent landmark on the city skyline. Organs The cathedral pipe organ was originally built by the Liverpool firm of Rushworth & Dreaper in 1966; it was renovated and greatly expanded by Irish organ-builder Trevor Crowe between 2006 and 2007. It has three manuals and 59 speaking stops, and is used regularly during services as well as in the annual series of summer concerts. The cathedral also has a smaller portable instrument, with one manual and four stops. It is used in smaller-scale liturgy in the cathedral's side chapels, as well as in a continuo role in concerts.