The town of Galway was founded in the early 13th century by Anglo-Norman conquerors on lands they had captured from the native Irish. The building of a defensive wall to secure the newly established town from the outside Gaelic world was begun in 1270 under Walter de Burgo’s son of the town’s founder, Richard. Over time the walls came to enclose the town of Galway which comprised an area of about 11 hectares. The section of wall of which is contained in the Eyre Square Shopping Centre includes Shoemaker’s Tower and Penrice’s Tower. Shoemaker’s Tower obviously housed such a business, while the Penrice’s were a notable family in medieval Galway.