This memorial was unveiled in October 2006 by then Taoiseach, Bertie Ahern. Fermoy as a Garrison town has a long, steep military history .Fermoy was the site of a large British Army barracks, when Ireland was under British rule. In 1797, when the army was looking to establish a new and permanent base, John Anderson gave them the land as an inducement to locate in Fermoy. A number of Fermoy residents joined the British Forces and left their home to take part in the Great War. A large number of these residents did not return home to Fermoy alive. This monumnet was erected to honour those who died and those who survived the war and returned home. At the unveiling, members of the Irish Guards attended in full uniform from the British Army. This memorial has gone down in history as an example of Anglo-Irish rapprochement.