After developing Fermoy at the beginning of 19th century, Anderson followed the lead of more liberal landlords when he gave land, rent free, for a new Catholic Chapel and also donated a large sum for its construction. It was built away from the town’s main thoroughfare to comply with the laws and in a particular poor area of the town. In 1836, the Pain brothers James and George Richard, prepared a revised design of Fermoy church. Following his appointment as parish priest in 1841, Fr Timothy Murphy had the building enlarged to its present dimensions of 140 feet from east to west and 100 feet from north to south. Fr Murphy was appointed bishop of the united Diocese of Cloyne and Ross in 1849. Choosing Fermoy church for his consecration as bishop, he was the first of three bishops for whom that church served as pro- cathedral. The building has a rich gothic interior.