This street was originally called Barrack Street, the upper portion being called Barrack Hill. The arch fronted Garda Barracks dates from c.1797 and was built as a military barracks and accommodated 4 officers and 69 privates in 1837. It was originally a three storied building, until its burning during the War of Independence 1918-1921 and was re-built to its present two stories between the years 1923-1926. It is today the Garda District Headquarters for a large portion of West Cork including the towns and Garda sub-districts of Dunmanway and Skibbereen. The site of the old Clonakilty Railway Station is further up the hill on the right. The platform, station master's house and station buildings can still be seen.