The town's fire station stands on the site of the old fish market and shambles. This market house was built c. 1820 at an expense of £600. As the town was expanding it seems the building of a second market house was necessary to accommodate the increased activity. The shambles were erected in 1833 by the corporation to accommodate the butcher's stalls. (The original Market House on Barrack Street continued to function, with the Town Hall overhead being used by the corporation and for the petty sessions). The stench from the Fish Market and shambles necessitated the building of a high wall between it and a near-by school at the insistence of the school principal.