Clonalis House

Contact Information

Clonalis House (Cluain ait Lis ), "the meadow of the forts" is a rare example of a historic house celebrating a Gaelic Irish tradition. Since the 17th century, it has been the ancestral home of O'Conor Don, the hereditary chieftain of the O'Connors of Connacht, one of Ireland's most distinguished clans who were the traditional Kings of Connacht and in the 12th century provided Ireland with its last two High Kings. The House is still in the ownership of the O’Conor Family. Many ancient and historic Family heirlooms are still preserved at Clonalis which at designated times is open to the public. In the posthumously published 'The O’Conors of Connaught: An Historical Memoir' (1891), the antiquarian John O’Donovan declared: ‘No family in Ireland claims greater antiquity, and no family in Europe, royal or noble, can trace its descent through so many generations of legitimate ancestors.’